Re: Naming of network devices - how to improve it in buster

Am 12.07.2017 um 18:58 schrieb Matt Zagrabelny:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org
> <mailto:biebl@debian.org>> wrote:
>
>     Am 12.07.2017 um 17:35 schrieb Marc Haber:
>     > My finger memory will still type tcpdump -i eth0 before the brain can
>     > intervene ten years from now.
>
>     thankfully tcpdump (and lots of other tools) have nice shell completion.
>     tcpdump -i <TAB> works great her.
>

> Agreed. However, I'd still rather deal with names like /dev/sda and eth0
> than /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SanDisk_SSD_U100_252GB_122339300522 and en<blah>.
>
> It is kind of like using people's first names as opposed to their Social
> Security Number (in US) or other form of national identification. I know
> when I can use the name Matt and I know who it refers to, even if
> another Matt enters the room. I'm comfortable with eth0 being the name,
> even when another interface appears.
>
> I completely understand, and largely agree with, the need for persistent
> naming - but I think we are selling ourselves and our users short by not
> pressing harder for network interface aliases. It seems to be too useful
> of a solution for this problem.

Indeed, the best solution would be to never rename the interfaces and
simply create aliases / symlinks. Then again, I'm no kernel hacker so I
have no idea if that would be feasible.
I guess Ben is (one of) the most qualified to answer that.

universe are pointed away from Earth?