Re: Too many Recommends (in particular on mail-transport-agent)

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 11:08:30PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 06.06.2017 um 18:06 schrieb Russ Allbery:
> > Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:

> >> libpam-systemd: xfce4-power-manager xfce4-session
> >> * BAD: Depends:systemd, utterly pointless without it.

> > This is a whole other discussion, but we had *endless* discussions of
> > this, and there are very sound technical reasons for structuring the
> > dependency chain this way.

> xfce4-power-manager, xfc4-session recommending libpam-systemd (or even
> requiring libpam-systemd) seems correct, as those use systemd-logind.

> The Recommends systemd-sysv | systemd-shim is superfluous and should be
> dropped. It's an implementation detail whether systemd (PID 1) or
> systemd-shim provides the functionality needed by
> libpam-systemd/systemd-logind.

If they interface with the dbus APIs directly, they ought to express a
relationship on systemd-sysv | systemd-shim since systemd-shim is not
guaranteed to be already installed on a system booted without systemd.

If they don't interface with the apis and only use them via libpam-systemd,
then libpam-systemd already has this dependency and the separate recommends
could be dropped.