Re: Too many Recommends (in particular on mail-transport-agent)

Afif Elghraoui writes ("Re: Too many Recommends (in particular on mail-transport-agent)"):
> I completely agree. I've teken issue with packages recommending packages
> in the spirit of "if you want this, you might also want X", which is the
> literal sense of the word "recommends", but fits the definition in
> policy for Suggests ("package may be more useful with one or more
> others"). I've been unsuccessful in arguing this case before (#849619),
> so I don't think the bug-filing method previously suggested [1] will
> work. I think there needs to be a clarification to everyone of what
> Recommends is for, since there seem to be different interpretations
> (although the policy looks quite clear to me).

I think we should take a test case or two to the Technical Committee.

Before doing that, it would be wise to try to find the answer to the
key question which the TC will ask.  Suppose A recommends B.  In what
way, or in what circumstances, will A fail due to lack of B ?

In #849619 I don't see the answer to that question.

Ian.