Re: A proposal for a tool to build local testing debs

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 09:03:16AM +0900, Roger Shimizu wrote:
> Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> wrote:
> > I think the last line should better be
> >
> > $ mk-build-deps -i
> >
> > ..in that case you won't get bitten if the build deps of the new package
> > differ from the build deps of the package in the archive.
> >
> > Does build-dep require deb-src in sources.list? If so, the above removes
> > that requirement as well.
>
> Yes, deb-src line is needed in sources.list.
> And build-dep command requires the package already in the archive.
>
> So maybe it's better to use command below to fit all cases:
>   mk-build-deps --root-cmd sudo --install --tool "apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=yes --no-install-recommends"
> (from wiki [0])

I think of mk-build-deps as a developer/contributor tool, and `apt-get
build-dep` a Debian system administrator/user tool.  dgit-user(7) is
aimed at the latter group, and people reading it might already be
familiar with it.

The advantages of mk-build-deps over `apt-get build-dep` are not
sufficient, IMO, to outweigh the value in referring to a tool that the
reader of the manpage probably already knows and understands.

--
Sean Whitton