Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 09:45:46PM +0200, Zlatan Todoric wrote:

> On 05/15/2017 02:02 PM, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> >>>
> >> Hi Paul,
> >>
> >> I believe that what we are actually looking for is a bit of
> >> improvement in the marketing side.
> >> Modern and fancy things.
> >>
> >> The LXDE example is good on that.
> > http://lxde.org/ seems to be the site in question. I agree with Paul,
> > I don't like it, and when I encounter pages in that style, I tend to
> > close the window.
>
> Then lets forget about getting newcomers (fresh blood) to Debian as
> you're so close minded to modern/new things - the same way they probably
> close the window when they see '90 style with a lot of text that
> actually says nothing.

Sorry, but no.

There's a difference between "let's use a random default design from
some design website that has five buttons and a few slogans" and an
actual, working, responsive design.

Debian does need the latter, yes. It does not need the former. LXDE did
choose that.

--
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,