Re: Help requested: Packages which FTBFS randomly

On Feb 21 2017, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> wrote:
>  ❦ 21 février 2017 09:48 -0800, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> :
>
>>> Your chosen build environment is not common [...]
>>
>> This has come up a few times now. Could someone explain what is so odd
>> about his envirnoment? It does not look unusual to me.
>
> Official buildd have several CPU. Most "important" downstream
> distribution builders have several CPU. [...]

Yes, but last time I checked a "apt-get source && debuild -us -uc" still
defaults to using just a single CPU unless you explicitly set
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel. So if this causes the build to fail, it will
directly affect those users least able to figure out what may be wrong.

> Accomodating for all build environments is a slippery slope.

In my opinion there is a big difference between asking builds to work
with a single CPU, and supporting "all build environments".

Best,
-Nikoalus