Re: Help requested: Packages which FTBFS randomly

On Tue, 2017-02-21 at 14:18 -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 02:37:23AM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > * with /tmp on tmpfs on some archs
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > You mean the 64-bit PowerPC architectures?  tmpfs allocates at
> > least a
> > page per file, and they have 64K pages...
>
> I'm not sure why you're mentioned powerpc archs, but as a hopefully
> relevant data point, two of my arch:all packages FTBFS when / is a
> tmpfs.  There are some weird permissions errors from the test suites.

That sounds like a kernel bug - tmpfs is meant to implement permissions
(including ACLs) just like a "normal" filesystem (e.g. ext4).

Having said that, some ioctls that make sense for block-backed
filesystems, such as FS_IOC_FIEMAP, won't work on a tmpfs (or nfs,
ubifs, etc.).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings