Re: Git hosting for code that provides Debian services

On വെള്ളി 20 ജനുവരി 2017 04:59 രാവിലെ, Ben Finney wrote:
> Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
>> For a debian.org service, I would like to be able to check out the
>> running version without interacting with a proprietary online service.
>
> I have been looking at the GitLab instance hosted at FOSS Community
> India's servers, <URL:https://git.fosscommunity.in/>. It's been working
> fine for a few months.
>
> Do the FOSS Community India people want us to make larger use of that
> GitLab instance for general Debian code bases?

We'd be happy to have more people use it.

There is also gitlab.debian.net alias for this instance, though it will
need a local account to work. There is a feature request for supporting
multiple domains https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/19449

>> Using github as well is up to you. I won't try to talk you out of it.
>> But I think for a service in the .debian.org namespace, bugs should be
>> reportable without interacting with a proprietary web service.
>
> I believe the GitLab running at the above URL is entirely free software.

The entire idea of that instance is to make a 100% Free Software public
git hosting service available to the Free Software community.

Yes, it is running gitlab debian package backported for jessie
(https://people.debian.org/~praveen/gitlab). All code is in debian main.
We'll switch to stretch once its released so it will be a fully official
package (though I plan to provide updates via stretch-backports, which
is still official debian).