Re: how to mount /(dev|run)/shm properly? (was Re: Auto reject if autopkgtest of reverse dependencies fail or cause FTBFS)

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 at 01:18:00 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 14.01.2017 um 20:00 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> > I recall this being a misguided attempt to move it out of /dev "because it's
> > not a device".  The migration did not go well, especially in the face of
> > chroots that need to have it mounted, and since systemd did not handle this
> > the same way sysvinit had, we effectively now have a mess in the other
> > direction.
>
> The /run/shm symlink in systemd was added to minimize breakage when
> doing the switch from sysvinit to systemd

If I understand correctly, the objection was to how sysvinit behaves
(for which I have now opened #851427) - it puts the symlink at /dev/shm and
the real mount at /run/shm.

I don't think systemd is doing anything wrong here. Upstream systemd is
correct to mount the actual filesystem on /dev/shm, and IMO it's also
valid for Debian systemd to make the symlink.

> > We should fix it so that everything again treats /dev/shm as the mountpoint.
>
> Nod, I'd be more then happy to drop the /run/shm symlink again from systemd.

This sounds like a job for post-stretch. Let's not remove low-cost
compatibility symlinks right now :-)