Re: Newcomer to Debian: Help wanted

One of the best ways to start IMHO, is to get one of these packages[1] (don't get the old ones, as they're probably harder to work on) and prepare a QA upload fixing easy things, like:
DH bump
Standards Version bump
Fix/bump d/watch
Convert d/copyright to DEP-5
Change maintainer to QA Group
Fix typos
wrap-and-sort a
Package new release
ACK bugs with patch attached (eg.: the reproducible-builds team is always opening bugs with patch attached, and BTW they're awesome)

The QA upload can be sponsored by any DD, and you can ask sponsorhip ont mentors.

[1]https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/orphaned_byage

Samuel Henrique <samueloph>

Quoting Vijeth T Aradhya (2017-01-08 13:23:41)
> Firstly, thank you so much for such a quick response! It's really nice
> when the community responds to you so quickly, hopefully I can be a
> part of it in the coming near future :)
>
>> Mentioned briefly in first URL above, but I'd like to emphasize one
>> suggestion: Cosnider join (or at list get in touch with) the teams
>> relevant for your particular interests.  Here's an incomplete list:
>> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams
>>

> I looked at the teams, and I have sent a mail to pkg-GPG about joining
> and development there. This was mainly because I became interested in
> PGP/PKI Clean Room Project proposed by Daniel Pocock on his blog. (
> https://danielpocock.com/outreachy-gsoc-2017-pki-clean-room).
> Hopefully, they will get back to me!
>
> I'll look at other teams as well!

Great.

You mentioned Haskell specifically, and I know that team will appreciate
more participants.  Probably same for most if not all teams - just
wanted to encourage your exploring more options, now that you asked.

> Any other path you suggest which will help me get acquainted with the
> org so that it will help with Gsoc?

There are so many suggestions, but also so much already documented at
many places.  I think pabs referenced plenty of god starting points.

Seem you might also appreciate reading how we prefer to use
mailinglists: https://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct

Welcome to the World of Debian :-)

 - Jonas

 * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

 [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private