Re: Converting to dgit

On Jan 06 2017, Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> wrote:
> Hello Nikolaus,
>
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 03:59:40PM -0800, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> >
>> > Yes, but you have to do it every single time you make changes that you
>> > want to be able to push (i.e. more than once per upload).
>>
>> What do you mean with "it"? You don't have to resolve any conflicts
>> unless you update to a new upstream that conflicts with your patches, or
>> unless you change a patch in such a way that it conflicts with a
>> different patch.
>
> Sorry to have been unclear.  I meant the `gbp import`, (at a minimum)
> check things are right, `gbp export` dance.
>
> This is a lot more work than `git commit`!

Aeh, what?

If you make changes to debian/, you need only 'git commit'.

If you change something in the upstream source (aka, add a new patch),
the "dance" is:

$ gbp pq import
$ # make changes
$ git commit; gbp pq export

And similarly for git-dpm. Surely typing these two extra commands is not
"a lot more work", is it? Note that they will succeed without
interaction.

If you want to edit an existing patch, you need to add one "git rebase
-i" command. I would maybe count that as "more work", but certainly not
as "a lot more".

Best,
-Nikolaus