Re: Converting to dgit

Dear Nikolaus,

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 09:44:14AM -0800, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> No, that's a misunderstanding.
>
> "The information I need" is the Debian-specific modifications to the
> current upstream source, separated into logically independent patches.
>
> Having separate patches in debian/patches gives me this information very
> quickly.
>
> Having to run git log, and then to manually merge the the commits gives
> me the same information, but it is not "very quickly".
>

> This is the drawback of the single-debian-patch approach. The fact that
> the patches are available in individual Git commits no longer helps
> after a few merges.

Thanks for your reply.  I see what you mean.

The difference between our approachs seems to be whether we do the
semantic work up front, when making an upload, or later, when extracting
information by means of `git log` and `git diff`.

Based on this discussion we've been having, it seems that each of these
approaches would be advantageous for different packages, depending on
the number of patches that aren't likely to be merged upstream, and the
likelihood that someone will need a tidied patch queue of changes.

--
Sean Whitton