Re: Worthless descriptions for almost all of the recent node-* ITPs (was: Re: Worthless node-* package descriptions in ITPs)

Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> writes:

> On 01/05/2017 02:06 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Quoting Riku Voipio (2017-01-05 12:53:16)
>>> Vast majority of users would only install this via dependencies. It's
>>> hardly a node-specific problem that debian package searches output
>>> large amount of packages that are not useful unless you happen to be a
>>> programmer.
>>
>> ...and I agree that the issue is not specific to node-* packages, but I
>> find it is quite common there.  Quite likely due to recent inclusion of
>> lots of packages, prepared semi-automated - as Philip pointed out very
>> well.
>
> Could we maybe hide library packages from apt searches by default?

I think you are perhaps misinterpreting my original subject line as
saying that the node packages themselves are somehow not of interest.

Sorry for not making that clearer in the original subject, perhaps the
new one is better?

I was only referring to the quality of the descriptions -- I don't know
enough about node.js to comment on the merit of the packages themselves,
nor their likelihood of being of interest to people.

The example I picked out was laughably useless, but most of them are
packed with field-specific jargon in the short description, and lack a
long description.

We (as a group) appear to be learning to treat "node-*" as a flag
indicating that one does not need to pay attention.  That would seem to
be the reason that these ITPs mostly go without comment, and thus the
package gets uploaded with the same flaws.

I encourage people to take a closer look, and to comment on what they
find -- I've only scratched the surface, and have had a pretty good
hit-rate finding things (in addition to the missing descriptions) that
are worth commenting on.

Cheers, Phil.