Re: Feedback on 3.0 source format problems

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

> No, my understanding that is git pq is something quite different, and
> does not maintain the history of changes in git - except by commiting
> the debian/patches/* files. It is a while since I looked at this in
> depth however.

That's correct.  gbp pq is equivalent to maintaining the upstream patches
as a Git branch that you rebase against each new upstream version.  You
retain some history of changes to those commits (unlike a pure git rebase
branch) in commit messages of the exported patches, but only as the commit
messages on commits of diffs (so not hugely human-readable).

> "gbp pq" is probably way better then using quilt however.

I like it because quilt is a fairly primitive revision control system, so
while it has tools for rebasing patches, they're not very good compared to
git rebase.