Re: Converting to dgit

On Jan 03 2017, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Sean Whitton writes ("Re: Converting to dgit (was: How to get history into dgit)"):
>> On Mon, Jan 02, 2017 at 07:22:54PM -0800, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> > I'll have to bring this up one more time. I just read
>> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=794244, and that
>> > sounds (in "USING GIT-DPM WITH DGIT FOR THE FIRST TIME") as if I should
>> > also stitch the existing dgit history into my git repository.
>> >
>> > Is that information outdated, or should I still do that?
>>
>> I've never used git-dpm(1), but I would guess that information is out of
>> date because it was written before the --quilt=dpm option was added to
>> dgit.
>
> Wow, it is very optimistic to describe the manpage skeleton in #794244
> as `information'.  It's guesses by someone (me) who doesn't know
> git-dpm.
>
> Certainly that manpage skeleton ought to have some `--dpm' options
> sprinkled over it.  And the `git merge -s ours' can be avoided
> nowadays by passing dgit `--overwrite' (which does the check mentioned
> there too).

Ah, got it. Thanks! It would be nice to mention in dgit(1) that
--overwrite is also useful when using dgit for the first time (rather
than just for NMUs).

> I see from another bug that Nikolaus is trying this out.  Nikolaus:
> please do ask for help if you get trouble, and I'll try to sort you
> out.  Hopefully when you're done we can construct a useful and
> mostly-true workflow guideline manpage!

I still haven't really made up my mind if I want to use git-maint-merge
or git-dpm. Russ recently raised a valid point with the Debian
modifications over-time becoming all tangled up and impossible to
separate. I thought I could solve this with git-debcherry, but that
seems to be more of a technology demo than an actual solution (it's
getting noticebly slow even on a small test tree and is implemented in
330 lines of bash...).

Incidentally, where would you like to see dgit discussions? On the bug
tracker, or on debian-devel? I'm surprised that there is no dgit mailing
list.

Best,
-Nikolaus