Converting to dgit (was: How to get history into dgit)

On Dec 11 2016, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> wrote:
>>> I would like to start using dgit for one of my packages, using the
>>> dgit-maint-merge workflow.
>>> If I understood correctly, following the dgit-maint-merge(7)
>>> instructions for the initial setup will give me a repository with only
>>> the upstream git history, but no data from previous Debian packages.
>>>
>>> Is there a good way to import the existing package history as well?
>>>
>>> Until now, I've used git-dpm, but I don't really need the full
>>> git-dpm history, I'd be happy to just preserve the uploaded versions.
>>
>> What I would do in this situation is, starting with your existing
>> packaging history,
>>
>> 1) Ensure HEAD is dgit-compatible.  This means patches are applied,
>> debian/source/local-options does not exist, etc.
>>
>> 2) Do the steps under "git configuration" and "source package
>> configuration" in the manpage.
>>
>> 3) rm -r debian/patches.
>
> Ah, that makes sense. I guess I'm still mentally adjusting to dgit's
> flexibility. Thanks!

I'll have to bring this up one more time. I just read
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=794244, and that
sounds (in "USING GIT-DPM WITH DGIT FOR THE FIRST TIME") as if I should
also stitch the existing dgit history into my git repository.

Is that information outdated, or should I still do that?

Thanks,
-Nikolaus