Re: Can we kill net-tools, please?

Russell Stuart <russell-debian@stuart.id.au> writes:

> To me this thread looks like a bunch of old men grumbling that the
> young'ins have taken over what they created and turned the tools they
> were comfortable with into something unrecognisable.  It's true - they
> did do that, and it's true it was unnecessary.  They could have just
> extended net-tools.  But this is how the young'ins have behaved for time
> immemorial - when they take over the reins from the previous generation
> and make it their own.  Look on the bright side.  They've given the
> kernel's networking stack a large array of new tools that weren't
> envisaged when net-tools was conceived - like QoS.

That's a fair point.  :)  I'm probably going to force myself to learn ip
and ss and whatnot, since that's the direction of the future and it's not
really that much worse on the output front, and arguable.  I'm not really
complaining about the changes so much as I'm complaining about the changes
that *weren't* made: even better command-line UI, better documentation,
JSON or YAML output format.

Of course, just as with the people who complain about missing features in
Debian, I could always go implement such things if I cared that much about
them.  :)