Re: Can we kill net-tools, please?

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 02:50:50PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> ifconfig, route, etc...

 From https://packages.debian.org/stretch/arm64/net-tools/filelist

 * /bin/netstat
 * /sbin/ifconfig
 * /sbin/ipmaddr
 * /sbin/iptunnel
 * /sbin/mii-tool
 * /sbin/nameif
 * /sbin/plipconfig
 * /sbin/rarp
 * /sbin/route
 * /sbin/slattach
 * /usr/sbin/arp

> Recently the net-tools maintainer has forked the abandoned net-tools
> code base and started developing it again, after 15 years of stasis.
>
> As a design choice he has changed the output of most commands, hence
> breaking many scripts parsing their output.
>
> With this post I want to encourage fellow maintainers to stop depending
> on net-tools, which is obsolete software and has been replaced long ago
> by iproute.
> Can we stop shipping two network configuration CLI tools in the default
> install?

Who confirms that the other one is `ip` from the iproute2 package.

> net-tools has long been deprecated and should not have important
> priority, for a start.

Without a replacement plan will net-tools survive some more releases.

Thing what Andreas Henriksson is doing
in https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/12/msg00619.html
providing patches how to get rit of net-tools,
is what will make the killing of net-tools more easy.

Merry Christmas.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--