Re: Can we kill net-tools, please?

Hello,

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:55:14PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Thing what Andreas Henriksson is doing
> in https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/12/msg00619.html
> providing patches how to get rit of net-tools,
> is what will make the killing of net-tools more easy.

I personally don't beleive in trying to patch us out of this mess
because it's chasing a moving goal. New crap gets uploaded to the
archive every day.

What I was trying to show was that the existing reverse dependencies of
net-tools are either not using it or are trivial to port, the real
question is if it makes any sense to spend time porting them?
Many things net-tool is used for is either useless or broken code.
Getting rid of it would be a service to our users.
Several times it's likely useful to get rid of the entire obsolete
package (that the package uses net-tools is just one symptom of
its outdatedness).

A better way than chasing a moving goal is in my opinion to declare
intent and then go in for the kill (taking all remaining rdeps with it).
Given not even the net-tools maintainer seems to suggest you should not
be using net-tools, I think we in this thread has declared that:

If you want your package to be part of Buster then make sure it doesn't
depend (solely) on net-tools!!!

(Atleast we should consider downgrading the priority so it only gets
installed when pulled in via dependency or manually installed.)

Regards,
Andreas Henriksson