Re: Can we kill net-tools, please?

On 2016-12-29 11:38 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> writes:
> > On 12/29/2016 07:04 PM, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
>
> Also, this is not at all easy to parse:
>
> # ip -o address
> 1: lo    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo\       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
> 1: lo    inet6 ::1/128 scope host \       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
> 3: wlan0    inet 192.168.0.195/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global dynamic wlan0\       valid_lft 598191sec preferred_lft 598191sec
> 3: wlan0    inet6 fe80::a288:69ff:fe31:2b62/64 scope link \       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
>
> The fields aren't labeled,

> And the output (without -o) is less human-readable than the current
> ifconfig output,

Yeah I think that mess is why I've never felt any need to move away
from ifconfig. I ran ip something a few times, went 'huh?' at the cryptic
output and stayed with the rather more civilised /sbin/ifconfig.

So it seem that the output does actually label things, but the things
and labels look exactly the same. Would some colons really have hurt
too much?

i.e. mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
is really
mtu: 1500  qdisc: mq  state: UP  mode: DEFAULT  group: default  qlen: 1000

Anyone think the latter is a tad clearer? I still don't know what a
qdisc is or a default group, but it's a lot easier to find things I do
recognise. Before this discussion I just saw it as a mysterious jumble
of 10 things (after a set of things in CAPITALS that were somewhat
mysterious too (what's a LOWER_UP, I wonder) - who knows what it might
mean.

The choice to use the former rather than the latter is presumably why
people who saw ifconfig's rather more civilised output first have not
shifted in 15 years. Some people are forcefully pointing out in this
thread that ifconfig is _wrong_, but I can't say I've ever noticed
enough to care. It's fine for normal, simple, network config where the
fanciest thing one ever does is create a bridge or mess with the
masquerading/nat tables.

Anyway, this discussion has produced some helpful links (cheers) which
I, and no doubt others, will peruse. (I do at least not have to prefix
ip with /sbin/, which is nice, so it's not all worse).

But I reckon this is a little lesson in UI design and adoption, which
it's worth remembering.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/