Re: compression support in kmod

Eduard Bloch wrote...

> I volunteer as test subject for that experiment. I would appreciate even
> small steps, considering the current laptop in front of me with average
> magnetic HDD. Over a minute boot time, which is insane and IMHO mostly
> caused by the storm of IO operations required nowadays.

At the risk of damping your expectations - I was surprised if there was
as noticeable improvement. Perhaps on broken (i.e. slow) bootloaders
where a smaller initrd gets loaded faster. Otherwise I'd expect the
reduced I/O doesn't count compared to everything else that happens.

> And seriously, today a kernel with a couple of extra modules takes about
> 200MB. I remember times when you could install a whole desktop
> installation in that space.

<Yorkshire man>200MB? Luxury!</>

    Christoph