Re: Can we kill net-tools, please?

]] Russ Allbery

> It's possible that some other tool has abused CIDR notation in this way,
> but ip is still the only place I ever see it.  It's definitely not common.

I picked a few arbitrary networking platforms:

From
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-es/junos-es93/junos-es-jseries-quick-start/basic-connection-and-configuration-with-the-cli.html:

    root# set interfaces ge-0/0/0 unit 0 family inet address 1.1.2.31/24

>From http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Address :

    [admin@MikroTik] ip address> add address=10.10.10.1/24 interface=ether2

From
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11225681/interface-configuration-in-arista-eos :

    localhost(config-if-Eth1)# ip address 172.16.204.4/24

(Arista's configuration manual is a PDF, hence linking to a random
stackoverflow description.)

From
http://dev-random.net/d-link-dgs-3324sr-management-ip-address-configuration/ :

    config ipif System ipaddress 192.168.2.2/24

Cisco does it differently, and I'm sure some others do too, but the
$ip/prefixlen notation is pretty common in the networking world at
least.

--
Tollef Fog Heen