Re: dput: Call for feedback: What should change? What should stay the same?

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:11:02PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> writes:

> > What does ‘dput’ do that you think really should not be changed?

> > What does ‘dput’ do that you wish it would stop doing?

> > What do other tools do better than ‘dput’? Do you think that ‘dput’
> > should change to do those tasks the same way?

> I'm not the best person to give feedback on dput since I switched over to
> dput-ng completely and have never looked back.  But I suppose that's a
> data point from one user who greatly appreciates the changes in dput-ng
> and would be happy to have that be the default dput.

> I am kind of meh on the JSON configuration format for dput-ng, though.

> I have never managed to work out how to use dcut (from either dput or
> dput-ng) in fewer than five tries each time I've needed to use it.  I'm
> not sure what it is with that command, but I find it completely baffling
> to use correctly.  Usually I manage to find some way to name the wrong
> thing in the command, refer to it incorrectly, or pick the wrong way to do
> whatever I'm trying to do.  And I use it so rarely that I never remember
> what mistakes I made the next time I try.

Last I looked, the dcut command in dput doesn't support the 'dm' subcommand;
this led me to switching to dput-ng when I needed it.  The actual behavior
differences between the two implementations of the 'dput' command all seem
negligible.

I agree that the dcut command is largely unusable.  dput-ng's 'dcut --help'
doesn't not actually document the usage of the command (to go by the output,
no subcommands are supported at all, let alone there being documentation of
the arguments of subcommands, and why in the world does 'dcut rm' take its
arguments as '-f <file>' instead of as further positional arguments), and
the fact that dcut dm requires an up-to-date local *DM* keyring to match
against instead of letting you use your GPG keyring is irksome.

So if dput were to implement a saner dcut command I would gladly switch
back.