dput: Call for feedback: What should change? What should stay the same?

Howdy all,

I recently donned the mantle of maintaining ‘dput’ and am carefully
making improvements. I am conscious of the special need for backward
compatibility so I am taking care to understand how the Debian developer
community uses it today.

So I'm now familiar enough, but still fresh enough, that feedback from
people with different experiences is particularly valuable.

What does ‘dput’ do that you think really should not be changed?

What does ‘dput’ do that you wish it would stop doing?

What do other tools do better than ‘dput’? Do you think that ‘dput’
should change to do those tasks the same way?

The same questions can be asked of the ‘dcut’ program from the same
package.

The ‘dput-ng’ package is one alternative that is sometimes suggested
when people hit the limits in ‘dput’. I am not a user of ‘dput-ng’ or
other alternatives, so am also seeking feedback from people who have
informed positions on choosing one over the other.

Both newcomers and old hands are welcome to give responses on these
questions.

--
 \        “Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from |
  `\                              bad judgement.” —Frederick P. Brooks |