Re: compression support in kmod

Hallo,
* Josh Triplett [Sun, Dec 25 2016, 07:59:18PM]:
> Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > Do we want it or not?
> > And if we do, should we support gzip, XZ or both?
> >
> > From time to time some user requests enabling this feature, but since
> > Debian kernels do not use it I am not sure that it is a good idea to add
> > one or two library dependencies to kmod.
>
> Does it speed up module loading at boot time (particularly for a distro
> kernel, which needs to load many modules)?
>
> I'd suggest testing both, and profiling system boot; if it speeds up
> boot time by any measurable amount, it seems worthwhile.

I volunteer as test subject for that experiment. I would appreciate even
small steps, considering the current laptop in front of me with average
magnetic HDD. Over a minute boot time, which is insane and IMHO mostly
caused by the storm of IO operations required nowadays.

And seriously, today a kernel with a couple of extra modules takes about
200MB. I remember times when you could install a whole desktop
installation in that space.

Regards,
Eduard.