Re: libc recently more aggressive about pthread locks in stable ?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh writes ("Re: libc recently more aggressive about pthread locks in stable ?"):
> [stuff]

Thanks for your clear explanations.

> The deal with *current* Debian stable is that, if the breakage is too
> widespread, we simply might not be able to do the right thing (fix the
> real bugs).  IMHO, this is not a valid excuse to paper over the breakage
> for unstable (or even the next stable, as far as I am concerned.  I'd
> rather delay the release, although it is _not_ clear at this time that
> such a thing would be needed).   It is not really about Intel TSX, it is
> about broken locking that was *already* causing hard-to-debug issues in
> many cases (I believe Ian said ghostscript was already showing hard to
> debug hangs in this thread), and Intel TSX happened to expose.

Indeed.

(Although the ghostscript bug only took me an hour or two in total
from it going wrong to having a fixed build for the affected machine,
I think probably most maintainers have less experience of this kind of
thing.)

Ian.