Re: libc recently more aggressive about pthread locks in stable ?

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016, at 10:49, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> As for Broadwell, I don't know which processors would still have TSX
> enabled in the first place when running the latest microcode, and we
> blacklist most of them in glibc anyway (because almost all Broadwell-*
> specification updates list it as either unavailable or unusable), so
> they're not a very viable option to test this.

Heh, Intel just released a new public microcode update package, fixing
some errata for the Broadwell Xeon E5v4, the two newer steppings of the
Xeon D-15xx, and also Broadwell-E Core i7-6960X/69xxK/68xxK.

I wouldn't be afraid of trying to use Intel TSX in Broadwell processors
running this new microcode: it is likely to be either properly disabled
(and not listed in cpuid flags), or rendered safe enough to use (as in
"no worse than up-to-date Skylake").

I will upload a new intel-microcode package to unstable in the next 24h.

That said, I am not going to propose any changes to the glibc blacklist
at this time, unless new information about how well Intel TSX really
works in Broadwell becomes available.

--
  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>