Re: When should we https our mirrors?

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 08:35:18AM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦ 17 octobre 2016 20:49 +0200, Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> :
> >> TL;DR: Would we now recommend deb.d.o over httpredir.d.o for production
> >> use e.g. in base images (including for Jessie)?
>
> When I said that, I was using cdn-fastly-v6.deb.debian.org (to also
> force use of IPv6 which is still in beta at fastly). I have now tried
> deb.debian.org and in a few days, I got numerous hash mismatchs that are
> solved only after a few apt-get update (while with Fastly, the
> occurrence of those are pretty rare and always solved with one apt-get
> update).
>
> I seem to always get redirected to Cloudfront. Moreover, the download
> speed can be very slow, either from work or from home (100M fiber
> connection). Sometimes 100kbytes/s. That's a pain.
>
> I am a bit worried for deb.debian.org to become a default as it doesn't
> work well for me. Am I alone to have such problems?

Me too, and I live in the middle of Europe, without such problems as a
SSL-blocking Golden Shield or abysmal international links.

Despite many fast mirrors nearby, deb.debian.org almost always connects me
to a server in the US (I got NL just once).  Tried from three ISPs.

So if this CDN has problems in France and Poland, I don't see it working
right in China, Iran or Cuba.

Meow!
--
A MAP07 (Dead Simple) raspberry tincture recipe: 0.5l 95% alcohol, 1kg
raspberries, 0.4kg sugar; put into a big jar for 1 month.  Filter out and