Re: When should we https our mirrors?

On 10/27/2016 12:40 PM, Russell Stuart wrote:
> It's *far* better than httpredir.  But given adding httpredir as a
> backup has become a net negative for me, that's not saying much.
> deb.debian.org so far has been net positive.

As a counter-point - in order to give credit where it's due - I had
little problems with httpredir in Germany and it almost always maxes out
my 100 Mbit/s connection by fetching from three well connected mirrors
at the same time.

But I figure that this might be unique to my first-world networking
situation and the fact that mirrors close to me are likely up-to-date
and maintained.

I know other distributions do things like letting the user netselect for
the closest mirror (which really doesn't mean much). But now with
deb.debian.org we also end up with two different CDNs with vastly
different characteristics. I'll note that it also only tells you how to
pin one of the two CDNs on its homepage. Maybe we could fix that and
then let users pick one rather than letting everyone round-robin between
them... (Something in me wants to tongue-in-cheek suggest to couple
httpredir and deb.debian.org to pick the sanest CDN for the user.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern