Re: Interface of `shutdown', 'halt', ... programs

Dmitry Bogatov writes ("Re: Interface of `shutdown', 'halt', ... programs"):
> Thank you for your advice, Ian. You guessed correctly -- 'sudo init 0' is
> good enough for me and I have little knowledge about "pointy-clicky"
> things.  While I can install GNOME on virtual machine (sigh) there are
> also other desktop enviroments (KDE, XFCE, ...).
>
> Is there some common way to get "pointy-clicky widget"? I assume
> (correct me, if I am wrong) all desktop enviroments share some
> mechanism how to invoke root-only command (shutdown) as regular user,
> so there may be way to invoke just shutdown menu, without need other
> parts of desktop enviroments.

Do you have the ability to install on a second system, or maybe dual
boot, or something ?  I would suggest doing a default install but with
runit (not sure how one would even do that) and just letting it
install gnome.

Failing that: I use `trayer' on my laptop as a thing to allow the
handful of desktoppy pointyclicky icony things I like, to have their
icon.  Eg the network manager applet.

You could try that, plus installing some desktop's power manager.
Maybe desktoppy kind of people will be able to advise.

Thanks,
Ian.