Re: Interface of `shutdown', 'halt', ... programs

Hi,

On 06/10/16 11:51, Dmitry Bogatov wrote:
>>> #838480
>>> [...]
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Is it possible to use a pointyclicky desktoppy widgety thing to reboot
>> a system with runit ?  I guess from your mails you use the command
>> line.
>> [...]
>> I think if I were you I would try installing a system with runit and
>> GNOME, make enough of an emulation that the GNOME shutdown and reboot
>> functions work, and call that "done".
>
> Thank you for your advice, Ian. You guessed correctly -- 'sudo init 0' is
> good enough for me and I have little knowledge about "pointy-clicky"
> things.  While I can install GNOME on virtual machine (sigh) there are
> also other desktop enviroments (KDE, XFCE, ...).
>
> Is there some common way to get "pointy-clicky widget"? I assume
> (correct me, if I am wrong) all desktop enviroments share some
> mechanism how to invoke root-only command (shutdown) as regular user,
> so there may be way to invoke just shutdown menu, without need other
> parts of desktop enviroments.

GNOME does this using logind which is probably the closest you'd get to
a common interface for this.

If using systemd-shim to implement logind for runit, you would need to
provide the shutdown and reboot commands used here:
https://sources.debian.net/src/systemd-shim/10-2/src/power-unit.c/

James