Re: Debian does not have customers

Bart Schouten writes ("Re: Debian does not have customers"):
> You know probably just as well as I do that often times when you mention
> the slightest of difficulties with any software package to anyone on any
> Linux mailing list or forum, the first thing they often tell you is
> "Have you filed a bug?" or when they are feeling particularly insincere,
> they will ask "what is the bug number of the bug you have filed?" all
> the while knowing you haven't yet filed anything, you were mentioning it
> "here" first.

I have to confess I'm guilty of this.  But I really try very hard to
do it only when I think that such a bug report would do good of some
kind.

I'm firmly with Russ, I'm afraid.  And with the GNU guideline for
maintainers, whose position is that the purpose of bug reports, from
the pov of the maintainer, is to improve the software.

Ian.