Re: Debian does not have customers

Russ Allbery schreef op 21-09-2016 19:56:
Xen <list@xenhideout.nl> writes:

I would simply suggest that in principle you keep bugs open until it no longer exists. But that you introduce a different open state other than
closed that will communicate "has been looked at, is not capable of
being solved right now". This could be "pending" or "held" or
"kept". Because "closed" indeed communicates "not-a-bug" or
"works-for-me" or "invalid" or "fixed" and not "frozen".

I recommend reviewing the literature around how to manage development
backlogs. There is quite a bit of thought in this area, and this approach
is widely considered at best useless (the holding area just becomes
another way of spelling "closed" because it accumulates so much stuff that
it becomes unsearchable and no one looks at it) and at worst actively
harmful.

I get that no one wants to hear "no one is going to look at this bug in
any reasonable time frame." It's not a pleasant thing to hear. But it's
vastly superior to just not hearing anything.  You're making a mistake
that lots of people make with bug tracking systems: in a desire to be
non-confrontational and to never deliver bad news or provoke hard
conversations about prioritization, you're erring on the side of not
communicating at all or communicating in weak and ambiguous ways.  This
can create unrealistic expectations on the part of the bug submitter,
which are later dashed.  This is just bad all around, and it leads to a
lack of trust in the long run.

If no one is ever going to look at the bug again, just close it. It feels
more confrontational, but it's far more honest, and it doesn't create
unrealistic expectations.  (Obviously, try to do this politely and
constructively!)

I agree with Adrian that honesty comes in more forms than this.

You know probably just as well as I do that often times when you mention the slightest of difficulties with any software package to anyone on any Linux mailing list or forum, the first thing they often tell you is "Have you filed a bug?" or when they are feeling particularly insincere, they will ask "what is the bug number of the bug you have filed?" all the while knowing you haven't yet filed anything, you were mentioning it "here" first.

Then, when you proceed down that path, you find that it is often very hard to get any one to look at the bug or to not close it instantly because it does not agree with the position of the sun in the sky that very day.

Now Granted, if Debian is a distribution maintaining packages of software that comes from some upstream place, it is going to be very hard for Debian maintainers to be responsible for the bugs or errors in those packages, because... they are not.

Particularly in the case of something like Gnome anything that's wrong with it needs to be handled upstream, there is no other way.

But telling people to file bugs constantly on the one hand and then opening some waste bucket on the other hand where you "deal" with them is no fair way of doing business in that sense, and certainly not blaming or accusing Debian as the only culprit here, if at all. Personally, as I've said, I find that "bugzilla" bug systems are very user-hostile and something like Jira is already much much much much nicer.

for the simple reason that a Jira issue tracking system is also a creative outlet for suggestions and ideas, and not just complaints.

I think the point that people are trying to get across is that a lot of what you say Russ feels like excuses.

You say "there has been a lot of thinking in the field" but that's just an excuse.

If "closing" has any meaning then it must be some definitive state. If some bug is nothing but petty complaining, fine.

If a bug report is too vague to consider, fine. You can state that as a reason.

But normally, just saying, that unless "upstream" never even takes note of the "downstream" bugs and hence bugs become "out of date" or "outdated" due to changes, or something of the kind....

Anything that exists today is going to exist tomorrow unless it is changed. Fixed. Reverted. Averted. Developed. Anything.

"Closed" means closed. It means the bug has been handled (or the report has).

What if someone else comes across the same issue? Is the semantically correct thing to do now to reopen it? And then what? For it to be closed instantly again?

If you can say "the bug has been acknowledged but we can't really do anything with it right now" I think that is "confrontational" enough and actually semantically correct.

"Closed" doesn't make you want to look at the bug. Not even if you are a developer interested in it.

If you say "on hold" or "held" or "frozen" or "acknowlegded but shelved" (acknowledged but "sleeping") creates too much of a backlog then that is a practical issue that doesn't warrant lying about the actual state of the bug.

Just an analogy:

If you have a dam in a lake and the dam needs to let water though or the lake will overflow on occasion. And the population was promised for this to happen only once a week because during the water passing the lake is less usable.

But the numbers don't add up and you have to do it twice a week. But to comply with policy you will not admit that these are actually regular outflows, but you are gonna name them something else like "emergency" happenings. Then you could call that "confrontational" but you're in fact avoiding a direct confrontation because you are using a sort of dishonest way of /naming/ things in order to deal with a practical problem.

You really /should/ be calling them "sleeping" or "on hold" (not meaning they will be addressed later, they have just been shelved and will not be looked at again, this is not some postponement I was proposing, I am talking about really shelving those bugs while all the same still acknowledgeing them) -- or, then, "shelved" -- but this creates for you, in your mind, practical problems, so instead you will call them something they are not, which is "closed".

Closed then, is a lie, to deal with a practical problem.

The practical problem is that either the system is just not designed very well, or there are not enough people to man the posts (which is like almost the same thing).

And given the way the system has been designed, or is constantly functioning, which in some areas just doesn't work, you deviate from what the bugs should be called and just close them prematurely just to keep the queues down.

That's a practical 'trick' but it is nothing of the sort of a meaningful design feature.

But you must first acknowledge that you are taking "emergency measures" and that this "crisis situation" is the reason you are closing these bugs, and not pretend that you have arrived at some overarching better way of doing things!!!!!.

If some softare is in crisis (such as perhaps Gnome) and hence creates an enormous amount of bug reports that no one could ever handle, then that is the crisis situation you have.

But that doesn't turn "closing as many bugs as you can" into a sort of elegant "normal" way of doing things.

Again: you are really abusing the "closed" state when it should be something else, because nothing other than "closed" works (in your mind) to handle that situation well.

But it remains a form of abuse of a state that is semantically incorrect.

At least then acknowledge that you are doing so (or someone might) instead of proclaiming it as the design feature of the century, so to speak. It is the "best of two evils", it is not something desirable in itself.

It's a way to deal with crisis, when semantics are not that important.

But don't turn it into a design feature because you will soon forget that you have a crisis at your hands, and if you don't recognise that your "closed states" are a way to deal with crisis, you will forget to deal with /crisis itself/ because you will feel this to be the normal and desirable state.

What I mean is that if you are going to defend your emergency plan as the normal way of doing things, as the way you want it to be always, you won't look beyond it to see where the problem really lies.

You must first acknowledge "Okay, the closed state is not exactly right" and then say "but we need it because there are too many bugs and not enough people" and THEN you can look at "why do we have a system of too many bugs and not enough people?"

But if you accept the abuse of the closed state not only as normal, but also as ideal, and perfect, that means the crisis behind it also becomes normal, and perfect, and you will never seek to solve it.

Pardon the verbosity here.

you're erring on the side of not
communicating at all or communicating in weak and ambiguous ways

I don't think saying "this bug has been acknowledged but we don't know how to fix it, or don't have resources to deal with it now, so it is going to be shelved" is weak or ambiguous at all.

You are saying "yes it is a bug" and "no we are not going to deal with it".

That's not ambiguous. That's very clear.

You can very clearly communicate that no one is going to deal with it /even though you have acknowledged it./

And I don't see the problem with that. I think calling it "closed" is what is ambiguous! Particularly if there is only one singular closed state!

I think this whole discussion is testament to its ambiguity!!!!!!.

the holding area just becomes
another way of spelling "closed" because it accumulates so much stuff that
it becomes unsearchable and no one looks at it

There is not a problem with spelling "closed" in another way because it /differentiates/.

In Spain they have more words for the emotions than in our western / north-european countries.

In Scandinavia they have more words for snow and clouds than in most other countries.

In Polinisea they have more words for waves and things to do with water.

/Having more words/ is a good thing if you can communicate more clearly with it and thus .....render yourself less ambiguous and less vague.

If "shelved" accumulates too much stuff, then "closed" would accumulate the same amount of stuff, so what is the difference? It makes no sense to desire "one" state instead of "two" for the same amount of bugs.

With "two" states, at least you encode a little bit more information into the state. If no one would look at a collection of "shelved" bugs, then do you think they would look at "closed" bugs?

You will have the same amount of bugs regardless, better have 2 states for them rather than 1.

Anyway...