Re: Network access during build

Le 7/09/2016 à 09:35, Lars Wirzenius a écrit :

> That's not how policy compliance actually works. All packages for a
> given Debian release must conform to the version of policy that was
> current when it was frozen for release. Otherwise we effectively have
> no policy, if every package gets to choose which version it adheres
> to.

That makes sense, but in this case what is the usefulness of the
Standards-Version field? And more precisely, why is it considered an
error [1] to omit it?

Speaking for the Java team, on each new version of the policy we have to
update this field in ~500 packages actively maintained, and most of the
time no other change is necessary. If the field could be deprecated it
would save some time.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] https://lintian.debian.org/tags/no-standards-version-field.html