Re: Network access during build

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 09:42:57AM +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> That makes sense, but in this case what is the usefulness of the
> Standards-Version field? And more precisely, why is it considered an
> error [1] to omit it?

As far as I care, the only point of the field is to document which
policy version you've checked the package against.

> Speaking for the Java team, on each new version of the policy we have to
> update this field in ~500 packages actively maintained, and most of the
> time no other change is necessary. If the field could be deprecated it
> would save some time.

You should still check that there's no policy changes that affect you.
That's what takes most of the time. Updating debian/control after that
is easily automatable.

sed -i debian/control \
  -e '/^Standards-Version:/s/.*/Standards-Version: 2038.01.19/'

--
I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh