Re: Network access during build

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 09:26:37AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> > While I do agree that a package *must* be able to build without Internet
> > access (for example, the test suite should never mandate access to a
> > working DNS, or a query to a google search, both of which are real world
> > cases...), I'm not sure about the severity: serious.

> I will go farther: I am quite certain that severity: serious is simply
> wrong for things like this.

> I'm sure this is not the only package that attempts to test DNS functions
> by looking up some well-known name.  The information leak of looking up a
> well-known DNS name is minimal to nonexistent.  (What conclusions is
> someone really going to draw from a query for www.google.com or some
> similar host?)  Those test suites should ideally be made robust against
> that DNS query not working, but I don't even see a point in patching out
> attempting to run the test provided that the test tolerates the lack of
> network access to a DNS server.  In other words, as long as the test is
> okay with DNS not being available or not having access to public DNS, I
> don't think just attempting the query is a bug of any kind.  If the
> current Policy wording says that it is, well, that's a bug in Policy, IMO.

Right.  There's a difference between "must not require a network connection
in order to build", and "must not access the network during build".

The former should be a serious bug, because if your package requires the
network to build, we have a hard time auditing to make sure that the package
actually contains the source for what's built.  While some failures may
"just" be test cases, it's better to enforce a blanket policy that packages
should build without a connection to the public Internet rather than waste
time figuring out which failures "really" impact the package contents.

The latter is not a serious bug.  A build attempting to send packets to the
network may be considered a bug, but certainly not a serious one.  If you
don't want packages in your build environment talking to the Internet, you
take away their network connection, you don't try to use policy to enforce
it.