Re: Is missing SysV-init support a bug?

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Robert Edmonds <edmonds@debian.org> writes:
>
> > However, that was two years ago. How long should we be expected to
> > continue maintaining sysvinit scripts?
>
> My understanding of the feeling of the TC at the time is that maintainers
> are expected to continue including the sysvinit scripts for as long as (a
> reasonable number of) folks are using sysvinit with Debian and keeping it
> working, a bar that I think is still being easily met.

I would guess that the vast majority of folks still using sysvinit with
Debian are running wheezy or older, and thus removing sysvinit scripts
from packages in unstable wouldn't affect them. But maybe that still
leaves a reasonable number of testing/unstable + sysvinit users.

> Note that "continue maintaining" is a bit strong; if you don't use
> sysvinit and don't have any sysvinit systems, I don't think you're
> expected to spin up a test system just to be sure things don't break.  But
> the ask was to not explicitly yank support (that isn't unfixably broken)
> and to merge reasonable fixes, and of course like any packaging quality
> issue the more that you're willing to do, the more awesome that makes
> Debian for sysvinit users.

Ah, OK. I count merging fixes as part of maintaining, so that seems like
a fine distinction to me :-)

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds@debian.org