Re: Is missing SysV-init support a bug?

Robert Edmonds <edmonds@debian.org> writes:

> However, that was two years ago. How long should we be expected to
> continue maintaining sysvinit scripts?

My understanding of the feeling of the TC at the time is that maintainers
are expected to continue including the sysvinit scripts for as long as (a
reasonable number of) folks are using sysvinit with Debian and keeping it
working, a bar that I think is still being easily met.

Note that "continue maintaining" is a bit strong; if you don't use
sysvinit and don't have any sysvinit systems, I don't think you're
expected to spin up a test system just to be sure things don't break.  But
the ask was to not explicitly yank support (that isn't unfixably broken)
and to merge reasonable fixes, and of course like any packaging quality
issue the more that you're willing to do, the more awesome that makes
Debian for sysvinit users.