Re: copyright precision

Quoting Ian Jackson (2016-08-16 15:32:55)
> Jonas Smedegaard writes ("Re: copyright precision"):
>> Quoting Markus Koschany (2016-08-15 23:02:06)
>>> So yes, copyright files are hard and unfun but why should we
>>> continue to write them the way we do if we are not legally bound to
>>> do so?
>>
>> Same reason that we should continue to care about ability to install
>> multiple major versions of a library concurrently, and that daemons
>> are not only linked correctly but also sensibly configured and
>> started by default.
>>
>> Not because we are legally bound to do so, but because we want to do
>> our job as distributors properly.  We appreciate good quality
>> packaging!
>
> Does that justify REJECTing a package which is imperfect in this
> respect, though ?

Good question.  Thanks for bringing me back to the start of this thread
:-)

No, not categorically: That unfairly punishes¹ packages improving their
info.

But I strongly believe we should not stop caring either.

Similar to how we strongly encourage use of proper SONAME even if not
done upstream, or readily working daemon config - but do not mandate it:
It seems realistic to me that we raise the bar in the future, e.g. by
tagging those daemons and libraries being excellent, and similarly those
copyright files with full machine-readable coverage.

 - Jonas

¹ netatalk is missing from Jessie solely due to improved licensing info
otherwise unnoticed for 15 years: https://bugs.debian.org/751121