Re: copyright precision

On Aug 15 2016, Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 at 18:17:52 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> The problem we're having here is clearly about *tooling*. If we had a
>> good toolchain to compile and audit machine-readable debian/copyright
>> files without sweating, nobody would complain.
>
> I have three slightly devil's-advocate responses to that:
>
> * If we had a good toolchain to compile and audit this stuff, people
>   and companies who want to know the copyright holders could just use
>   that to inspect the upstream source code and cut out the middle-man.

I think even the best tooling wouldn't be able to automatically generate
correct copyright files. However, it would make it feasible to keep an
initially-correct copyright file correct over time (by flagging
potentially copyright affecting changes in an upstream release and
providing a straightfoward way to integrate those changes).

Best,
-Nikolaus