Re: copyright precision

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:14 AM, Helmut Grohne wrote:

> But it is actually worse than that. We don't even list copyright for
> what is contained in binary packages.

It isn't hard to do for packages that don't copy anything from other
binary packages, I did this for libicns:

https://sources.debian.net/src/libicns/0.8.1-3/debian/icnsutils.copyright/
https://sources.debian.net/src/libicns/0.8.1-3/debian/libicns1.copyright/
https://sources.debian.net/src/libicns/0.8.1-3/debian/copyright/

Of course, they are still not accurate because, IIRC, gcc includes
code from itself into ELF binaries.

The only possible way to solve this in general terms is, accurate
document the copyright/license of the source package using the
machine-readable format and during builds, track the transformation of
input files in the source package to output files in the binary
package and then generate the copyright/license information for the
binary package based on which input files from which source/binary
packages ended up in the new binary package.

Then we get to the problem of the accuracy of our debian/copyright
files and that of upstream copyright/icense notices.

I conclude that fixing this is a very long-term project at best and an
intractable problem at worst.

--
bye,
pabs