Re: ifupdown2: debconf followup

On Mon, Aug 01, 2016 at 09:01:20PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Aug 01, Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> wrote:
>
> > > Sorry, what I actually meant was "every non-toy Debian system".
> > we get that you have strong preferences. However, could you please
> > avoid inflammatory language when talking about anything that isn't
> > according to your preferences?
> Reasonable people should not get "inflamed": I like toys myself and
> I have a lot of them, there is nothing intrinsecally bad in using a toy
> or maintaining one.

It is not unreasonable to interpret your use of the word "toy" to
describe someone else's preferred system as an insult. You can try to
invent meanings and situations that explain away the insult, but I
don't think that changes anything.

If you want to actually work with people, you should try to be
constructive. Being dismissive of others' preferences is
anti-constructive.

It is possible that their opinion of what's good and what's not is
objectively wrong. In that case, you should give the objective
arguments for that. Instead, you say things that reasonable people
find insulting, and the reasonable conclusion is that you're not
interested in being constructive. That's reasonably unfortunate.

I don't want this to become a long subthread, so I'm ending my
participation in it with this mail.

--
Schrödinger's backup hypothesis: the condition of any backup is
undefined until a restore is attempted. -- andrewsh