Re: Installer of Debian Stable allows to use btrfs for /, does it mean it's mature enough to use safely?

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 05:07:12 +0200, german398@ya.ru wrote:
>Now I want to know if Debian Stable can in some extreme cases, like in this case with btrfs, replace
>not_very_good kernel module that is shipped with its current kernel with a kernel module from other (older or newer) version of Linux kernel and if yes, is it the case with btrfs?

We do that sometimes, but seldomly, and, strictly speaking this is a
violation of our release principle[1].

If you want a later btrfs in Debian stable, you will be better of by
using a backported kernel. I would, however, advise against using
btrfs in productive environments, even if it's from the latest and
greatest kernel.

>>think about stating your name.
>
>My full name is Davidyants Vazgen Samsonovich. Are you happy now?

Happier at least. I think it's polite to introduce oneself.

Greetings
Marc

[1] I remember the day when a Debian stable point release introduced a
new version of an ethernet driver that broke an entire class of IBM
blade servers' networks and I also remember being scolded for relying
on Debian stable instead of doing extensive tests myself