Re: Keysigning via Video Conferencing

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to interject in this matter however it is beginning to become repetitive. PGP Key Signing for New Members is purely an identification process, to prove that you are who you say you are. This provides the Debian Foundation with the assurance that you can be trusted monitoring their infrastructure, uploading packages and performing other roles throughout the foundation. Therefore providing proof that you have the skills to become a Debian Developer is obsolete in this part of the process.

If a Debian Developer is to sign your key, they will need to be familiar with you, have formal identification (not just photographs) and also have the ability to provide proof, if asked that you are who you claim to be. The process will not go any other way and you can't attempt to circumnavigate the inevitable fact that you cannot have your key signed online. Try to find a Debian Developer close to your location, preferably someone familiar with you and begin to converse and identify yourself. I myself are a New Member hoping to become a Debian Developer however I will follow the correct procedures to ensure I am correctly identified.

This conversation should be brought to a climax at this point considering we have established that you will need to find a Debian Developer to identify yourself, as opposed to looking online for a Debian Developer who is a willing party (All of which will deny your request). Again, find a DD who is close to you and if you can't, look slightly further away. This process is well documented on the Debian Developer/New Member forums and information pages and in addition, the Front Desk will check your application and signed keys with the DD's who signed your keys to ensure the process has been completed correctly.

I must apologise and this may be frustrating for you however I don't see any exceptions that can be made to aid this issue, I hope you understand. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause, also if you believe that anything in this email is incorrect, my apologies. Thanks for reading. Have a nice day!

Thanks in advance,

James Gallagher