Re: Next steps for gitlab.debian (Re: GitLab B.V. to host free-software GitLab for Debian project)

On 07/06/16 01:51 PM, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> Fair enough. One cannot plan to replace a service that is maintained by
> someone else, specially when that someone still has plans to maintain it
> _and_ disagrees with the replacement.

git.debian.org is an important service widely used within the project.
The fact that the maintainer does not agree with migrating to another
technology is one thing but for the good of everyone using it we should
consdier all options.

> Also, DSA's wish to keep the number of services down to the minimum
> necessary and avoid redundancy is completely reasonable.

For this reason, we should consider moving everything to gitlab.

> OTOH, in my opinion the status of alioth today is hurting the project. I

I completely agree. Better tools with better user interfaces like Gitlab
will greatly help us ease the process of contributing to Debian.

> Praveen, I think you could call this new thing something like
> labs.debian.net. pkgs.debian.net (the fedora git server is called
> pkgs.fedoraproject.org), of even dev.debian.net.

+1 for dev.debian.net

Gitlab is more than just a git service. When and if this moves to
dev.debian.org, I also see it being possible to translate git.debian.org
links so that they still work.

Tools like Gitlab will be very important for the project. They will play
a great role in improving the new contributor experience. I hope that
the effect of this is more contributions to Debian.

If there are ways in which I can help maintain and setup the new
service, I would like to volunteer some of my time. Please keep me in
the loop so that I can help!

Cheers,

--
Alexandre Viau