Re: Packaging of static libraries

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

1) make it clearn that static linking is to be used only when strongly
justified (e.g. system rescue tools like sash).

As I see it, static libraries are mostly meant for the end-user, not for distribution packages.

E. g. my package witty (http://www.webtoolkit.eu) is a C++ web library (something like Rails, Django or Laravel). It is mostly used either in embedded (e. g. medical devices, routers, etc) or in high-load applications (e. g. a Facebook app). For the first use case I provide static libraries, for the second use case I provide shared libraries.

One problem my users find is many libraries in Debian do not provide a static library, rendering my static libraries useless.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org