Re: Packaging of static libraries

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016, Clint Adams wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:13:20AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > We should change policy and packaging tools such that static linking
> > are not enabled by default and only enabled when there is a good
> > reason to do so; when requested by users or when there is some other
>
> No, we should not.

Agreed.  The correct fix is to:

1) make it clearn that static linking is to be used only when strongly
justified (e.g. system rescue tools like sash).

2) add dependency metadata to track this, so that a tool can schedule
binNMUs as required when a statically-linked dependency gets updated, and so
that it won't cause extra heartburn for the security team.

3) add a way to automatically generate the metadata for (2) during package
build, otherwise it is pointless to even try.

I have a hunch we even have some (maybe even all) of this already...

  Henrique Holschuh