Re: migrating to Debian gitlab

On Monday 15 February 2016 11:35 PM, Pirate Praveen wrote:
>> systemd does not create any pid files. It only reads them to
>> figure out which PID of a multi-process Type=forking service is
>> the main PID of that service.
>
> Thanks for the clarification.

There is an issue with sidekiq pid in the logs, but service is fine. Can
some one help here?

>> Well, EnvironmentFile= variables can be used in ExecStart= (that's
>> about the only place they can be used, it's not possible to use it
>> in e.g. PIDFile=), HOWEVER systemd doesn't interpret shell variables
>> WITHIN EnvironmentFile=. So having a line foo="${bar}/baz" won't
>> work as expected.
>
> I will try this.

I'm using variables in gitlab-workhorse.service now.

>> Yeah, I said I didn't know enough about ruby to make a judgment call
>> on that, I just thought it weird.
>>
>> Thinking about it, one could possibly split bundler into two packages
>> (bundler-bin and bundler), where bundler-bin contains the necessary
>> libs and binaries (but the binaries not in the system PATH but rather
>> in /usr/lib/bundler or so) so that you can depend on that, without
>> pulling in. bundler would then be a trivial package containing only a
>> symlink from /usr/bin to the real binary from the bundler-bin package,
>> but the bundler package would still Recommend all that stuff. That
>> way, people who want to use bundler get build-essential, whereas
>> people who just want to use gitlab don't get a compiler installed.
>>
>> Don't know if that would be worth it (you can override Recommends:
>> dependencies, so if you don't want build-essential, you can just
>> remove it), but maybe you could think about it.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, I'll discuss with debian-ruby team.

Antonio just uploaded a version of bundler which split bundler package
to bundler and ruby-bundler. ruby-bundler does not depend on
build-essentail and applications should depend on it. Once it clears
binNEW, I will update gitlab dependency.

I have started backporting gitlab for jessie #815216 has status updates.

Currently I get an execjs error (complete error log in the bug report).
I had seen this error before in jessie too, but even after updating
every likely dependency the error was not going away. Finally a
dist-upgrade solved the issue. But now I get the same error in jessie
and dist-upgrade is not an option, if someone can help me find the right
package to update, that would be great.

Also I need help with reproducing #815133 as I don't get the same error
in a clean reinstall.