Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On 01/03/2016 10:53 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 3, 2016, at 18:35, Christian Seiler wrote:
>> My question would be: would those people here who have separate /usr
>> and aren't using initrd be willing to put up with something like that?
>
> I don't know if they will, but the list of potential users for your hack
> is a bit larger:
>
> As far as I know, the Linux kernel cannot really support a
> firmware-update/override "early initramfs" without a "boot" initramfs,
> which is a really annoying limitation for anyone that doesn't want a
> "boot" initramfs for whatever reason.

Oh, I didn't know that. I've always used initrds on my systems for the
last - I don't know - 15 years or so.

Anyway, if I hear from enough people who'd actually use my piece of
code, I'll make a real project out of it and package it for Debian.
(Do you count yourself as one of those?)

Regards,
Christian