Re: support for merged /usr in Debian

On 03/01/16 13:23, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> I didn't say or assume that. It doesn't matter how you see it, in the
> end all /usr/*foo* would be come /*foo*, sooner or later.

Not in the UsrMerge design. Because UsrMerge deprecates
/{bin,lib,sbin...} and treats /usr/* as the canonical location for those
directories, the only symlinks in the root directory are those that are
necessary for compatibility with current or historical practice. For
instance, /bin -> /usr/bin is needed because otherwise #!/bin/sh would
stop working, and /lib64 -> /usr/lib64 is needed because the x86-64 ABI
says the runtime linker is canonically named
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, but /share -> /usr/share is not needed (and
so is not created) because there is no existing software in Debian that
refers to paths in /share.